Finns are accustomed to utilizing their forests for its trees and are coming up with new ways to use lumber.The fact that Finland has one of the thickest forests in the world, it’s given th at wood has been a vital part of its industry. However, wood is not only used for log cabins and saunas but also for tree wood furniture, or for structural timber beams.
Established in 2015, after opening the plant, this Finnish company set about spreading their wood-based diesel fuel in field tests with commercial buses in Helsinki.
“We are especially delighted to be able to take part in the Helsinki Region Transport initiative that aims for emission free public transport,” sales and marketing director at UPM Biofuels Sari Mannonen said at the time. One of the major targets of the initiative is to start using 100 per cent renewable biofuels in their diesel vehicles in the coming years.
Tonfisk, its name derived from a Swedish can of tuna, mainly produces coffee and tea sets, and its bent wood merchandise range is growing year by year.
“The wooden part of our products is not just for decorative purposes; there is always a reason why it’s used,” co-founder Brian Keaney told us in 2014. The wooden portion, for example acts as insulation, keeping the drink warm without letting your hands burn.
Droplet Hitech Design
Under the brand name Lastu, this company produces accessories for mobile devices made from renewable materials, using six species of Finnish wood.
Sakari Arffman, the CEO has commented previously that the most popular type of wood is Curly Birch, which appeals especially to Finns and Swedes. Grey-dyed birch, which they call Kelo, has also sold really well. A wide variety of colours is something they want to keep. Here they are using tree services for their wood which is sourced exclusively from Finland.
When a pair of engineers noticed how phone calls contribute to a noisy office environment, they got the idea to start their brand in 2010. Framery provides a quiet place made of wood that allows callers privacy, as well as decreases interruption for everyone else.
Sales manager Lasse Karvinen described design as enormously important. When creating inspiring design spaces there is no room for awkward design or products.
The company’s Woodcast casting and splinting products are fitting for all orthopaedic and traumatology uses, including the casting and splinting of fractures and injuries. These are manufactured from an eco-friendly composite material of wood and biodegradable plastic.
“I feel that this patent protected technology has the features set to achieve a significant share of the cast product market in the big five EU countries and the United States,” declared CEO Stuart Ashman in 2015.
The U.S. forest products sector has been fighting for more than two decades. The growth of digital networking, the globalization of manufacturing, along with a declining housing sector have caused considerable reduction of employment in the business. Plastic, steel, and hybrid materials have taken significant market share in goods that formerly were made from wood. But, economic and societal changes towards better environmental consciousness and responsibility possess the potential of restoring timber into its former standing. Innovation is required that take advantage of wood’s outstanding environmental performance and flexibility for a substance, using it as an architectural timber or as more of a structural timber. Some examples are recorded.
- Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT). CLT is a laminated board created out of solid wood planks which are glued together changing the management of the fibers. Its durability and stability enables the chance to use timber as an environmentally-friendly solution to steel and concrete building methods.
- Biobased adhesives to bond together timber composites and wood plastic composites (WPCs), which unite plastic and cellulose fibers have been developed. Additionally wood fibers are used to fortify structural substances.
- Carbon nanotubes in addition to cellulose nanofibers to boost the potency and endurance of varied products are being developed.
- Wood may be utilized as a source of bioenergy, thereby increasing energy efficiency and enhancing the environment. Additionally biofuels can be gotten from forest biomass, which may help replace a substantial portion of petroleum-based fuels.
- Wood modification. Thermal alteration, acetylation and fufurylation procedures may be utilized to alter wood and boost its durability.